August 26, 2013 by texasbbacareerservices
Dear BBA Student,
We had a very successful summer traveling across the U.S. meeting with employers and we have a record number of employers getting involved this fall! Career Week Prep Week (September 3-6) and Career Week (September 9-12) are coming soon and every event is at capacity with employer participation.
The preparation starts August 26; many employers are using case interviewing and we’ve got a great line up of case workshops this semester. You should attend the Case Interviewing Workshop on Monday, August 26 from 10am – 12 noon in the CBA Events Room, CBA 3.304. Also, the BA 101 interviewing curriculum has a part two with expanded case interviewing preparation information. We also want to prepare you for the recruiting season and networking with employers; attend a recruiting orientation event on August 27 to get up to speed (separate events will be hosted for returning and transfer BBA students).
On the first day of school, Wednesday, August 28, stop by and say hello to Texas BBA Career Services staff at our Get in the Know event from 10:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. We’ll have snacks and event information, plus advisors will be on hand for quick questions or to set an appointment.
Please see below tips and reminders:
- Attend BBA Career Services Events and meet employers face-to-face; put a face to your resume!
- Update/build your resume using the BBA Resume Template and apply for internships and jobs (the first resume deadline is September 1).
- Many employers recruit for interns in the fall; do not wait until spring to start looking for your internship.
- Get interview practice at our events: Walk-in Speed Interviewing (September 5) and Advising and Corporate Mock Interviews (September 10).
- Meet with a Career Advisor or Peer Career Advisor.
- Walk-in advising is available during the following days and times: Monday – Thursday: 10:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Friday: 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
- Underclassmen: If you’re looking to learn more about industries and companies prior to committing to an internship, participate in our Career Shadowing Program.
- Get extra face time with employers at our two new Career Week events: Career Week Sneak Peek on September 9 (Meet in small groups with employers and learn about industry and career opportunities) and Employer Panel: MIS Lunch and Learn on September 12 (Event is open to all BBA students interested in MIS).
- Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter to stay in tune with upcoming events and employer visits.
- Share your story and hear other BBA students, alumni, and employers’ stories on our Texas BBA Career Services Blog.
- Connect with alumni, BBA students, and employers and build mentorship relationships via our LinkedIn Group: Texas BBA Career Services Student, Alumni, and Employer Network.
- Read the Career Services Code of Ethics and Recruiting Guidelines and Policies (including the updated BBA Offer Guidelines). Please notify me if you feel that you have experienced unethical recruiting practices.
- Arrive at the Undergraduate Career Expo on September 11 early; the Expo will be open to all UT students from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. We want to see our BBA students arrive early and fully prepared (Bring your UT ID, wear business professional attire, study the employers attending and what they do)!
- Take advantage of Labor Day sales and buy business casual and professional attire.
- Be mindful of what you post on the web about employers (even password protected sites).
This is an exciting time for all BBA students; I urge you to capitalize on the employer demand to meet McCombs BBA students! BBA Career Services is here to provide you the resources and guidance to prepare you to not only meet these employers, but to impress them.