September 29, 2015 by texasbbacareerservices
How I Started with Frederic Cook
I was first introduced to Frederic Cook through the McCombs OCR site. Previously, I had not heard of FWC or even about Executive Compensation Consulting. After reading the job posting and visiting the company website, I instantly knew I wanted to apply because their work required the application of financial analysis to a diverse set of industries. Having previously interned at an investment bank, I wanted to retain work as an analyst but couple it with strategic consulting. After I interviewed, I was able to confirm that these tasks were indeed at the base of a FWC consultant. I loved the culture and the people, and when I was offered the job, I immediately accepted!
What I Like About Working for FWC
FWC is a great company! There are several reasons why I have enjoyed my time at the company but here are the main reasons:
- Diversity of Work: Day-to-day my analysis, conversations, and creative thinking have to be tailored to each specific client. The diversity of clients makes my tasks not routine which I really enjoy.
- Learning: You are always learning new things at FWC. The work is rewarding and challenging which motivates me to keep expanding my knowledge base to provide the optimal advice to clients.
- Culture/People: The culture is the best of any company I know! We work hard and in collaboration. There is no hierarchy at FWC which means that I am able to access senior principals of the firm and industry for advice and questions at any time. This is the best corporate culture that I have experienced.
- Opportunity: Executive Compensation Consulting is the definition of management consulting meaning that I am directly exposed to senior level management at top global companies. There are very few jobs that provide exposure to an entry-level consultant to senior executives. FWC values employees based on individual and team contribution. Therefore, my future opportunities are not based on seniority or past experience, rather, my growth within the company is in my own hands.
Useful Skills for the Job
Although I was a finance major, FWC has consultants from several diverse backgrounds who are able to bring a unique view to the job. Some skills that a successful consultant at FWC will have are:
- Attention to detail and good organization skills (we do get busy at certain times of the year and have a lot of different clients so these skills can help to manage tasks efficiently)
- Willingness to learn and be challenged
- Great communication skills
- Ability to work well in a team (the firm operates as a team and our office is very collaborative)
Beyond the skills listed above, the most important is to have intellectual curiosity. This will lead to greater learning and more opportunity within the company.
General Career Advice
As a recent graduate, I definitely understand the stress of recruitment. My advice would be to find a company where you could see yourself enjoying the work but more importantly, will enjoy the people you will work with. Talk to alumni, current employees, and explore all opportunities to see what you may like/dislike. If you have any questions about Frederic Cook or just recruiting in general, feel free to reach out to me!