September 7, 2017 by texasbbacareerservices
McCombs Career Expo
Date: Wednesday, September 13th, 2017
Time: 11:00 AM – 3:00 PM (open to current McCombs School of Business students only); 3:00 – 5:00 PM (open to all current UT students)
Location: UT RecSports Center
With the McCombs Career Expo being less than one week away, it may seem like class assignments, organization meetings, and recruiting events have brought your summer to a hard stop. However, there is no need to fret as the list below contains tips to help reduce any stress. These are the top things that upperclassmen and recent graduates say they wish they knew before attending Expo:
- Start preparing now! Although the idea of preparing may seem obvious, students tend to delay starting this process until the day or two leading up to Expo. It is essential to give yourself plenty of time to prepare for all aspects of Expo which include, but are not limited to, researching companies attending, saving job postings on RecruitMcCombs, having your business professional outfit ready, etc.
- Know where you’re going on the day of Expo. The McCombs Career Expo is located at the UT RecSports Center on San Jacinto Blvd. Once inside RecSports, you should know where the booths of the companies you plan on visiting are located. We suggest that you download the McCombs Career Expo app to not only see the booth layout, but to keep track of your company list and find what majors/years they are hiring.
- Get a good night’s rest. Expo can be exhausting if you are recruiting as well as taking classes that day. You will be walking, talking, and hauling your backpack farther than you normally would, and since this is Texas, the heat will only add more to your plate. So, plan ahead and give yourself some extra TLC the night before.
- Pack a pair of comfortable walking shoes. If you are arriving to Expo from class or off-campus, we highly suggest you pack a pair of comfortable shoes and change once you arrive to RecSports. Also, don’t feel odd about wearing tennis shoes with a full suit – we business students have to do this all the time!
- You don’t have to go just to recruit. If you are a student who is not currently seeking an internship of full-time position, you are definitely still encouraged to attend! In addition to recruiting, students also come to Expo to practice networking, talking to recruiters, and to learn more about different companies. Another great way to simply familiarize yourself with the Expo environment is to volunteer. Expo volunteers get to work behind-the-scenes to help execute one of the largest events that McCombs has to offer. If you’re interested, sign up at this link!
We hope these tips will help ease you out of some the anxiety that may be associated with recruiting for internships and full-time positions. One of the most important tips to note, however, is to have fun and remember that many of the attending recruiters were once in your shoes not too long ago. Good luck and we look forward to seeing you at the McCombs Career Expo!